Tuesday, May 8, 2012


Product Reviewed: Revlon ColorStay


Disclaimer: Normally I am vehemently opposed to using drugstore foundation.  Why?  Several reasons: 1) Less expensive formulas tend to have a lot of cheap "filler" ingredients, many of which are not good for your skin. 2) Even as someone who works with foundation on a daily basis, I find it nearly impossible to determine a good match through without a tester. 3) At drugstores, you can never be sure how long the product has been sitting on the shelf. 4) Not all drugstores have a flexible return policy, meaning you could get stuck with a few foundations you don't love before finding your match. (Even at less than $15 each, it's still a risk.)  Ok, so now that I've come clean about my anti-drugstore-makeup bias, let tell you Revlon ColorStay has changed my world. 


The consistency of the foundation was nice and creamy, and provided excellent coverage without being heavy.  ColorStay has a natural finish, and wears well throughout the day.  Flexible coverage allowed me to apply heavier in areas where I need more coverage and lighter in areas where I don't need as much help.  I particularly like that Revlon has created two ColorStay formulas: one for combination/oily skin and one for normal/dry skin.   I chose the oil-free formula for oily/combination skin.  So far, so good in terms of breakouts (I was worried it would be comedogenic.)   I must say, I owe Revlon on apology on this one--ColorStay was $15 well spent.


Tip: If you're having trouble guessing your correct color through the bottle, go for a color with neutral undertones.  Unless you know you have warm or cool undertones, a neutral foundation is a safer bet.


Another tip: Make sure to wear an SPF with this foundation, as the 6 SPF it provides is negligible.

No comments:

Post a Comment